Wednesday 12 December 2012

The Snowman Animation (1982)




The Snowman has been a Christmas staple ever since its original release in 1982. Based on Raymond Briggs' classic children's book, the tale of a solitary little boy whose snowman comes to life in the night and takes him on a series of adventures which culminate in a meeting with Father Christmas. It's uncluttered by modern standards and told with a gentle simplicity which renders it utterly poignant.
 
 


The Snowman deservedly won awards for its animators. But they had the best material to work with: Briggs' softly absorbing original illustrations which magically combine Christmas fantasy with the stark realities of life and death.  It's enchanting, from beginning to end.



The Snowman makes me feel very special and it is so magical! I watch every Christmas Eve with my Mum. :) xx

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kate! I love The Snowman!!! My eldest cried when the snowman melted the first time he watched it. Must watch it again this year. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, that is so sweet. I love The Snowman too!! On Christmas Eve this year, The Snowman and The Snow Dog will be shown on TV. It is a brand new animation by Raymond Briggs and it looks lovey! I can't wait to watch it. Merry Christmas, Jenny to you and your family. xx

      Delete