Wednesday 20 November 2013

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire


 


The summer holidays are dragging on and Harry Potter can't wait for the start of the school year. It is his fourth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and there are spells to be learnt, potions to be brewed and Divination lessons (sigh) to be attended. Harry is expecting these: however, other quite unexpected events are already on the march.

With characteristic wit, fast-paced humour and marvellous emotional depth, J.K. Rowling has proved herself yet again to be a master story-teller.

What stands out in Book Four for me:
* Hermione's disgust at the reception for the veela (Bulgarian National Team Mascots) at the Quidditch World Cup. Rowling's fourth book addresses issues about growing up--the dynamic between the boys and girls at Hogwarts starts to change. Nowhere is this more plain than the hilarious scene in which magical cheerleaders nearly convince Harry and Ron to jump from the stands to impress them.
* Viktor Krum's crush on Hermione--and Ron's objection to it.
* Malfoy's "Potter Stinks" badge.
* Hermione's creation of S.P.E.W., the intolerant bigotry of the Death Eaters, and the danger of the Triwizard Tournament. Add in the changing dynamics between girls and boys at Hogwarts, and suddenly Rowling's fourth book has a weight and seriousness not as present in early books in the series. Candy and tickle spells are left behind as the students tackle darker, more serious issues and take on larger responsibilities, including the knowledge of illegal curses.
* We encounter death in this book the likes we haven't seen before (R.I.P. Cedric Diggory)
* We get a glimpse of the friendship and absolute loyalty that is shown to Harry by Ron and Hermione (after Ron throws his little hissy fit of course and comes to his senses.)


 
 
 
Have fun! xx




2 comments:

  1. You nailed it - this is the one that really starts them on their dark journey (maybe because of the all important return of Voldemort?).
    I especially liked the introduction of the other magical schools - up to that point I'd thought Hogwarts was it, so that was cool. And all the drama that brings, of course, Krum and Hermione and Ron. Ron's a bit of a dolt sometimes, actually, and Krum seemed very caring and attentive. (Though Hermione did say they didn't have much to talk about.)
    Question: is this the first time that you're reading the books, or are you reviewing as you re-read? In any case, I hope you're enjoying the progress. It's giving me a lot of HP urges guuh.
    P.S. I clicked on your blog link at one point in the past few weeks and it led me to a 'this blog does not exist' page so I thought you'd closed it, but I'm so glad that's not the case :) Please do tell us if you're ever gonna close, abrupt goodbyes are saddening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. I enjoyed reading your post. To answer your question, I have been a Harry Potter fan for many years. My mum read the first book aloud to me when I was nine and I have read the series many times over the years. I am listening to Stephen Fry read the books online and then I am reviewing them after I have listened to each one.
    PS. I have had a few problems with my blog myself. I have changed the address to 'katebooksandtea' to see if it helps. If you are still having problems with the blog please let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete